The IXrouter is the hardware component which enables you to remotely access your PLCs, HMIs and other devices.
This article shows you how to set up your IXrouter. After your IXrouter is set up you will be able to access and manage your IXrouter on the IXON Cloud.
- IXON Cloud account (view our getting started guide)
- USB flash drive (format: FAT32)
The steps to follow in order to set up your IXrouter are:
Create a configuration file
First step is to create a configuration file on the IXON Cloud that will tell the IXrouter to what company it belongs and how it's connected. Most input fields will be pre-filled, based on standard use cases, so for most users all the fields can be left untouched. The next steps show you how to create a configuration file.
- Go to [Tools]in the main menu and press [Start configuration].
- Confirm your company name, press [Next], and select your connection type.
- Wired networkusing Ethernet cable.
- Wireless networkusing a Wi-Fi signal.
Required info: network name (SSID) and password.
- Cellular networkusing a 3G/4G enabled standard SIM card (size 2FF).
Required info: provider's APN (access point name) and SIM card's PIN code.
- After choosing the connection type, you can generally leave the default DHCP settings and press [Next]. If you need to set a static IP address, you can do so by pressing [Show more]. View our static WAN IP address-article for more information.
- Next you'll enter a unique IP addressfor your IXrouter and press [Next]. This needs to share the subnet of your PLC/HMI but cannot match their IP address! The subnet in the example below is "192.168.140", where the last figure ".1" can vary anywhere from 1 to 254 as long as it's different from the PLC/HMI.
LAN/WAN conflictThe LAN subnet (machine network, i.e. 192.168.140) needs to differ from the WAN subnet (company network). More information can be found here.
- Press [Next] to finish your configuration file.
- Press [Download] and place the file in the root directory of the USB flash drive, not in a folder.
File nameIt is essential that the file is named "ixrouter.conf", without any added characters or numbers.
Register your IXrouter
Once the configuration file is placed on a USB flash drive, you can start registering your IXrouter. The next steps show how to register your IXrouter.
- Connect your IXrouter to the internet.
- Wired connection: Connect the "internet" port on the IXrouter to your company network.
- Wireless connection: Make sure to be in range of the Wi-Fi's access point.
- Cellular network: Make sure the SIM card has sufficient internet credit, make sure that it is activated (contact your provider if necessary), and insert the 3G/4G standard SIM card (2FF) before you power on the IXrouter.
Antenna connectorThe 4G models have 2 SMA connectors for your cellular antenna. The one closest to the power connector is the MAIN and the other connector is the DIV. Always connect an antenna to the MAIN. Connecting an antenna to the DIV is optional.
- Power on your IXrouter using a 12-24 VDC power supply.
- Insert the USB flash drive containing the configuration file into the IXrouter's USB port.
- Wait around 2 minutes for the IXrouter to configure and register itself.
ACT LED status
The IXrouter's ACT LED should blink blue quickly shortly after inserting the USB flash drive, indicating that the IXrouter is (re)configuring itself.
If this hasn't happened after 1 minute, please check that the file is located in the root directory of the USB flash drive and that the file name is exactly "ixrouter.conf". Try a different USB flash drive if the problem persists.View our LED Status article for details on the other ACT LED status messages.
Once your IXrouter shows a constant blue light it's registered on the IXON Cloud.
Closest IXON server
Remove the USB drive once the IXrouter is registered
Activate your IXrouter
After a successful registration of your IXrouter a yellow bar will pop up in the [Devices] page. The next steps show how to activate your IXrouter.
- Go to [Devices]in the main menu. You will find a yellow bar at the top in your device list stating "New device".
- Press the yellow bar, select [Activate], and name your device as you see fit.
InfoThe first number and figure combination "C0:D3:91:31:46:41" is the MAC address of your IXrouter. The second number "16055202" is the serial number of the IXrouter.
Next stepThe IXrouter is now set up and activated. You can now connect to your machine.