When your PLC, HMI, or other hardware runs a VNC server, you can access it without requiring a VPN connection. With your IXON account you can quickly access the VNC server on any mobile and desktop device with an internet connection. The next steps show you how to set up a VNC service.
- Go to [Devices] in the main menu, select the concerning device, open its [Services] tab, and press the [Add service] button .
- Enter a nameand IP addressfor the PLC, HMI, or other hardware, and press [Next].
IXagent IP addressAre you using an IXagent and is the IXagent running on the VNC device? Then simply leave the IP address field empty and continue.
- Select your service type: [VNC server].
- Name the service. The port numberis pre-filled, based on the default port for VNC traffic (5900), but can be changed if necessary. Enter a passwordif one is set at the VNC server.
- Please use the appropriate settings to ensure your VNC service functions properly.
- Using Lenze hardware? Press [Show more] and set the encoding to Hextile.
- Using B&R hardware? Press [Show more] and set the color depth to what is set on your B&R device (default is 8-bit).
- Using VIPA hardware? Press [Show more] and set the color depth to either 8 or 32-bit.
- Using Siemens hardware? First, go to Runtime Settings for your HMI in your TIA Portal project, ensure that Start Sm@rtServer is checked and apply it by downloading the hardware configuration to the PLC. Then, open the WinCC settings on the HMI and go to the [Server] tab. Set a password and uncheck "Encrypt communication".
- Running a VNC server on a computer? Make sure that your VNC server is set to accept unencrypted connections.
- Press [Add].
- Finally, press [Push changes]in the config tab to complete the setup.
You can use your newly added VNC service once the device is back online.
- Open its [Info] taband press the VNC service name you enteredto open the VNC service.
All set upNow you're all set up to easily access your PLC's/HMI's screen via VNC.