There may be situations where you don't have an internet connection available for your IXrouter but do have a connection for your computer, either via a 3G/4G hotspot or Wi-Fi. In that case you can choose to temporarily share that connection with your IXrouter. This guide shows how.
Connect your IXrouter
You first need to boot up and connect your IXrouter before configuring your computer.
- Boot up your IXrouter and connect its WAN port to your computer's Ethernet port.
- Wait for the IXrouter to finish booting. This is indicated by the ACT LED no longer being continuously red, assuming you've already configured your IXrouter. If you've not yet configured your IXrouter, view our getting started guide before continuing.
Configure the computer
Once your IXrouter is connected and has finished booting you can start to configure your computer to share its connection. In the examples below we use the computer's Wi-Fi connection and link it to its Ethernet port.
Operating systemThese instructions are for Windows 10, but may also be applicable for other operating systems.
- Right click on the internet icon in your task barand select [Open Network Internet settings].
- Select [Ethernet]> [Change adapter options].
From here on there are 2 options, share connection or bridge connection, both result in the IXrouter coming online.
Option 1: Share connection
- Right click the Wi-Fi adapterand select [Properties].
- Open the [Sharing] tab, check the option [Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection], and select the Ethernet adapter from the drop-down menu. You can leave the other option unchecked and press [OK].
Internet connection sharedYour IXrouter should come online in mere minutes.
Option 2: Bridge connections
- Select the Wi-Fi adapterand then hold CTRL on your keyboard while selecting the Ethernet adapter. Right-click the source adapter, in this case the Wi-Fi adapter, and press [Bridge Connections].
IP address conflictYou may receive a message claiming there is an IP address conflict, as is depicted below. However, your computer should automatically fix this issue in a few moments. If not, you can try to right-click your network icon in the bottom right and select "Troubleshoot problems".
Internet connection bridgedYour IXrouter should come online in mere minutes.