The IP address of the IXrouter will, by default, be dynamically assigned via DHCP. However, some situations may require you to set a static IP address.
Local IT departmentAlways ask the local IT department for an available IP address, as well as the corresponding network mask, default gateway, and DNS server.
You can configure this in one of two ways, depending if the IXrouter is currently offline or online.
- Via USB flash drive (the IXrouter is currently offline)
- Via the IXplatform (the IXrouter is currently online)
Via USB flash drive
If the IXrouter is offline, you can configure the IXrouter via USB flash drive.
You can specify a static WAN IP address for your IXrouter when you are creating a WAN configuration file, accessible via the [Tools] page. If you haven't created a WAN configuration file before, view our getting started guide and apply the intermediate steps explained below.
- Press [Show more]in the top right of the WAN page, as is depicted below.
- Here you can select "use the following IP address". Enter an IP address, network mask, default gateway, and DNS server.
- Press [Next], proceed through the steps, and download the configuration file at the final step. Place the file in the root directory of the USB flash drive, not in a folder, and insert the USB flash drive in the IXrouter.
ACT LED status
The IXrouter's ACT LED should blink blue quickly shortly after inserting the USB flash drive, indicating that the IXrouter is (re)configuring itself.
If this hasn't happened after 1 minute, please check that the file is located in the root directory of the USB flash drive and that the file name is exactly "ixrouter.conf". Try a different USB flash drive if the problem persists.View our LED Status article for details on the other ACT LED status messages.
Via the IXplatform
Besides directly setting up a static IP address you can choose to do this later on. The next steps show you how.
- Go to [Devices] in the main menu, select the concerning device, open its [Config]tab, and edit the WAN settings.
- Select [Wired network].
- Select [Use the following IP address], enter the IP address, network mask, default gateway, and DNS server.
Temporary disconnectAfter this next step, the config push, the device will temporarily disconnect to reconfigure its network settings and will automatically reconnect. This may take a minute.
- Finally, press [Confirm] and [Push changes]in the config tab to complete the setup.