|Latest version||Supported operating systems||Cloud Logging & Notify|
|Raspbian 9 (stretch) and Raspbian 10 (buster)
(may also work on other Debian-like systems with systemd)
In this article you will be guided through the steps of connecting your Raspberry Pi directly to the IXON Cloud using the IXagent, without requiring additional hardware in the form of the IXrouter, allowing you to remotely access it as if you are on-site.
Below is a listed overview of the steps.
Flash your Raspberry Pi
The Raspberry Pi comes with no operating system by default and leaves customers free to choose which operating system to write to their SD cards. To install the IXagent it is necessary to have Debian as the underlying operating system. There is a Debian image available specifically developed for the Raspberry Pi, called Raspbian. This gives users a ready to go operating system without going through an installer.
- Open Balena Etcher.
- Select the Raspbian image to flash to the SD card.
- Select the SD card to flash to.
- Press [Flash!].
- Wait for the flashing to finish.
- Once finished, remove the SD card from your computer, insert it into the Raspberry Pi, and turn on the Raspbery Pi.
Download, install, and start the IXagent
When you have a Raspberry Pi running one of the supported OS versions, you can proceed to install the IXagent. Please contact us and request the Raspberry Pi IXagent package.
- Open the terminal.
- Download the IXagent onto the Raspberry Pi (replace "https://<downloadlink>" with the link you received from us):
- Unzip the IXagent package (replace "<filename>.zip" with the filename):
- Install the IXagent and its dependencies:
sudo dpkg -i ixagent-0.4.3.deb mosquitto-1.4.10.deb openvpn-2.4.5.deb
- Enable the IXagent:
sudo systemctl enable ixagent
- Start the IXagent:
sudo systemctl start ixagent
Register and activate the IXagent
You need to know your company ID before you can execute this next step. You can find your company ID by going to the account menuand pressing [My company]. Take a look at our getting started guide if you don't have an account yet.
Now that you have your company ID, you can register your IXagent.
- Open the terminal on the Raspberry Pi.
- Register the IXagent (replace "<your_company_ID>" with your company ID):
The IXagent will now register the device to the IXON Cloud and will automatically set up a secure VPN connection. Lastly, you will have to activate the newly registered IXON Cloud Connector on the IXON Cloud.
- Go to [Devices]in the main menu. You should now see a yellow bar saying "New device". Press [∙∙∙]and select [Activate]. You'll be asked to enter a name and pay a one-time activation fee.
UnregisterTo remove your device from the IXON Cloud, run ixagent-unregister.sh.