Use the links below for easy navigation:
- What is Cloud Notify?
- How can I activate Cloud Notify?
- How do I use Cloud Notify?
- How do I use Cloud Notify to send e-mails from my PLC/HMI?
What is Cloud Notify?
Cloud Notify is service with which you get notified about machine events: when the machine is in an alarm state, product has run out and needs to be refilled, the machine has been running for x hours and maintenance should be scheduled, or any other situation you would like to be notified about.
You get notified by:
- Message in the IXON Cloud
- Push notification on your phone
- More options, like calls or sms, are possible if you use Cloud Notify together with a 3rd party service using webhooks.
You can configure any variable as alarm trigger, but let's take a temperature and set the alarm condition to when 60°C is exceeded. If this happens, the alarm condition is met and all users (configurable) will receive an e-mail and push notification, once. For this to happen again, the alarm condition will have to be false first (below 60°C).
There are no limitations on the number of alarm triggers and you can configure each alarm trigger with its specific trigger condition, including a timing condition (e.g. trigger alarm when temperature exceeds 60°C for longer than 5 minutes). Instructions can also be added, which will be shown in the message center in the IXON Cloud and in the e-mail.
How can I activate Cloud Notify?
When you want to try Cloud Logging, you can start a 30 day free trial. After that, you have to purchase a Cloud Logging license.
How do I use Cloud Notify?
Follow these next few steps to get your Cloud Notify all set up.
- Step 1: Activate Cloud Notify or start the 30 day free trial.
- Step 2: Set up a data source. Here you select (1) your communication protocol (i.e. Modbus) and (2) add the variables that you’re interested in.
Already have a data source?If you’ve already created a data source for Cloud Logging, you can use that same data source for Cloud Notify.
- Step 3: Set up alarms. Here you set up your alarms. An alarm is based on a variable, which you added in step 1, and the condition that you define for the alarm to trigger.
- Step 4: Set alarm triggers. You can determine who gets notified about which alarms, depending on the severity of the alarms.
How do I send e-mails from my machine?
You can send e-mails directly from your machine if you are using a public SMTP server, assuming your machine supports this functionality. All you need to configure in the IXON Cloud is to allow access to the internet. You'll also need to configure the machine itself. Contact your mailing provider for those details.
If you have no public SMTP server available, or perhaps the machine does not support the public SMTP server's security requirements, then you can use Cloud Notify to still receive e-mails from your PLC/HMI. Simply follow the steps explained at "How do I use Cloud Notify?" and at step 2 you'll want to specifically add an SMTP data source.