This enables you to easily, quickly, and securely make the necessary changes to values inside the PLC without the need for a VPN connection or additional software.
- Activate the HTTP server on your PLC
- Create a watch table
- Add the watch table to the HTTP server
- Set up an HTTP service
Activate the HTTP server on your PLC
First you'll need to activate the HTTP server on your PLC.
- Open your project in TIA Portal and open the [Device configuration] in the project tree on the left.
- Double click the controller or right-click and select [Properties].
- Go to [Web server], check "Activate Web server on all modules of this device", and un-check "Permit access only with HTTPS"as is depicted below.
Create a watch table
A watch table provides an overview of variables and their current values as well as the option to edit these values. We'll be adding a watch table to the HTTP server, but we'll first need a watch table to add.
- Open [Watch and force tables], in the project tree on the left, and press [Add new watch table].
- Add all variables that you'll want to be able to edit remotely.
Add the watch table to the HTTP server
Now that you've created a watch table, you can add it to your HTTP server.
- Open the [Device configuration] in the project tree on the leftand double click the controller or right-click and select [Properties].
- Go to [Web server] > [Watch tables], add your watch table, and set the access to "Read/Write"as is depicted below.
Additional securityWe recommend to add a user under [User management] and give the access to write tags only to that specific user (i.e. an admin).
Set up an HTTP service
You now have an HTTP server, including a watch table, running on the PLC. Using IXON's online HTTP service you can easily, quickly, and securely access the HTTP server.
- Follow the steps in the following guide to add an HTTP service in a few easy steps: HTTP(S) service, and how to set it up.