In this article you will be guided through the steps of connecting your PLCnext directly to the IXON Cloud using the IXagent, without requiring additional hardware in the form of the IXrouter, allowing you to remotely access it as if you are on-site.
If you wish to remotely access more devices than just the PLCnext, like an HMI or servo drive, take a look at the IXrouter instead of the IXagent.
- Prepare the PLCnext
- Install the IXON Cloud Connector
- Register and activate the IXON Cloud Connector
- Update LAN settings
- What's next?
Prepare the PLCnext
The PLCnext needs to be prepared to use the IXON Cloud Connector.
- Make sure that the PLCnext has an internet connection.
- Open your PLCnext's WBM and go to Configuration.
- Tick the options Enable Proficloud Service and Enable PLCnext store service and click Apply.
Install the IXON Cloud Connector
Now that downloading apps from the PLCnext Store has been enabled, you can install the IXON Cloud Connector.
- Log in to the PLCnext Store using your Proficloud account.
- Register your device under your account.
- Download the IXON Cloud Connector to your device and install it.
Register and activate the IXON Cloud Connector
To access your machine remotely, you'll need to register and activate the IXON Cloud Connector.
- In the IXON Cloud, go to the Portal.
- Open the account menu in the top right corner and copy the Company ID.
- Start an SSH client (e.g. PuTTY) and connect to your PLCnext.
- Default username: admin. Default password: visible on the PLCnext's housing.
If you previously registered this device and it's still listed in the IXON Cloud, make sure to first turn on Recover upon next registration before you continue.
- Run the following command to register the IXON Cloud Connector to the IXON Cloud. Replace
COMPANY_IDwith your company ID:
ixagent-register.sh COMPANY_IDIf you get an error "command not found", include the full path:
The IXON Cloud Connector will now register to the IXON Cloud, where it needs to be activated.
- In the IXON Cloud, go to Fleet Manager > Devices.
- Click on the New device to activate it with an activation code. If you do not yet have an IXagent activation code, contact your IXON account manager or IXON distributor.
Update LAN settings
Updating the online LAN settings to match the local IP address of the PLCnext will enable you to remotely connect to your PLCnext using its local IP address.
- Go to Fleet Manager > Devices and click on your device name.
- In the left menu, go to Network > LAN.
- Under Router LAN IP, enter the PLCnext's local IP address.
- Note that the IXagent does not function as a router. You can remotely only access the PLCnext on which the IXagent is installed.
The PLCnext is now set up and ready. You can now:
- Connect to your machine using VPN, for access as if you are on-site, or connect to your machine using VNC or HTTP for quicker and easier access.
- Download the mobile app for easy mobile access (Android, iOS).
- Configure what is visible in the Portal using custom Main pages, Device cards, or Device pages and even use custom translations.
- Configure what other users can see and do (User management explained) or invite colleagues or customers (Invite a new user).
- Customize your company branding with custom colors, logo, domain, and more (Configure your company identity).
- Add extra machine information with custom fields for a variety of uses.
- Start using machine data with Live data, Historical data, Alarming, or Reporting.
- Supported protocol(s) are listed at the start of this article.
- And much more ...