BACnet/IP over VPN is supported on the IXrouter3 in firmware 3.20 and up. Please upgrade your firmware if you are running an older version.
This article explains how you can remotely explore your BACnet/IP-compatible machine from your computer. Are you looking to log machine data using BACnet/IP, look here instead.
The IXrouter functions as a BBMD (BACnet Broadcast Management Device). This is required to enable BACnet/IP communication between networks, in this case from VPN to the machine network and back. This BBMD feature is active by default and cannot be turned off.
You'll need to configure your BACnet/IP software to use the IXrouter as BBMD. This may also be called foreign device, depending on your software. If your software does not have this option, you cannot use that software to remotely connect using BACnet/IP. Luckily, there are plenty BACnet/IP software programs publicly available, like Cimetrics Bacnet Explorer or Yet Another Bacnet Explorer.
Once you've registered your IXrouter to the IXON Cloud and connected your BACnet/IP-compatible machine to one of the LAN ports, you're ready to continue.
Set up a VPN connection to your IXrouter.
- Make a note of your IXrouter's VPN address from the VPN connection Details.
Also make a note of you computer's local VPN address. You will need it later.
Microsoft WindowsOpen Command Prompt and execute the following command:
ipconfigYour computer's local VPN address starts with 10.187.x.x.
Apple macOSOpen Terminal and execute the following command:
ifconfigYour computer's local VPN address starts with 10.187.x.x.
LinuxOpen Terminal and execute the following command:
ip addrYour computer's local VPN address starts with 10.187.x.x.
With this information you can connect to your BACnet/IP-compatible machine.
- Connect to your BACnet/IP-compatible machine.
- Open your BACnet/IP software.
- Configure the BACnet communication settings as follows:
Select your VPN network adapter or enter your computer's VPN address.
- Configure a BBMD or foreign device as follows:
Enter the IXrouter's VPN address with default port 47808.
- Search for your device and explore its BACnet/IP addresses.
Cimetrics BACnet Explorer
- Open Cimetrics Bacnet Explorer and go to Tools > Settings > BACnet Protocol Configuration.
- Edit the first entry in the table and select your VPN network adapter (e.g. TAP-Windows Adapter) in the Port tab.
- Go to the Foreign Device tab, select Foreign device, and enter the IXrouter's VPN address with port 47808 at Remote BBMD.
- Click OK > OK > Yes to restart the BACnet service and return to the main window.
- In the Device Tree, right-click BACnet, and click Explore Everything.
- Select Local broadcast, select Read All, and click OK.
- You can now find your BACnet/IP-compatible machine in the Device Tree and explore its BACnet/IP addresses.
Yet Another Bacnet Explorer
- Open Yet Another Bacnet Explorer and go to Functions > Add device.
- At BACnet/IP over Udp > Local endpoint, enter your computer's local VPN address and click Add.
- Go to Functions > IP Services > Foreign Device Registration and Register the IXrouter's VPN address with port 47808.
- Go back to the main window.
- You can now find your BACnet/IP-compatible machine under Devices and explore its BACnet/IP addresses.
Unable to connect?Use our troubleshooting article to help you solve the problem.